The latest Facebook algorithm update paves the way for great quality video content
A few weeks back Facebook amended its News Feed algorithm – something that it appears to do at random intervals – and this time around the tweak is aimed at prioritising “meaningful interactions”, which translates as posts from businesses and brands are bad because they are crowding out the “personal moments” from friends and family.
This might not sound too good if you’re a business, but Facebook has always maintained that conversation is the name of the game, and a great way to get a bit of chit-chat going is through the medium of video, but don’t take our word for it.
In January the social media analytics company NewsWhip examined the top 100 English-language posts from just publishers and brand pages and found that in terms of total engagements (likes, shares, reactions and comments), 98 of the top 100 updates were native videos.
These statistics do prove that online video drives better engagement, but let’s not forget live video which is also gets a huge response rate. Combine native and live video and what do you get? You get the mind-blowing prediction that by next year 80 per cent of all internet traffic will be video.
At Recode’s Code Media conference in February, Facebook executives Adam Mosseri and Campbell Brown stated that the social platform is looking to build a section inside its “watch video tab” exclusively for news video.
At the moment it doesn’t have partners for this or even a business model for it, but according to Campbell Brown it is going to happen. “This is very new to us and we’re still trying to figure it out,” she said, adding: “It’s such early days that we don’t have a great plan around this, but we know we want to do it.”
If you’re still not convinced that video marketing is for you, then here are a few stats shared via marketing technology company HubSpot to help you understand exactly how popular it has become in recent years:
- Video is projected to claim more than 80% of all web traffic by 2019
- Adding a video to marketing emails can boost click-through rates by 200-300%
- Embedding videos in landing pages can increase conversion rates by 80%
- 90% of customers report that product videos help them make purchasing decisions
- According to YouTube, mobile video consumption grows by 100% every year
- 64% of customers are more likely to buy a product online after watching a video about it
- 87% of online marketers are currently using video content in their digital marketing strategies
- A third of all the time people spend online is dedicated to watching videos
- Video ads now account for more than 35% of all ad spending online
- 59% of company decision makers would rather watch a video than read an article or blog post.
The evidence is clear; you should be investing in video
content! But while there are more options and tools than ever before for you to
produce your own videos to help boost your marketing efforts, there is a huge
difference in quality between a self-shot piece and a professionally produced
We’d be more than happy to explain the benefits of utilising
high-quality, professionally produced video and show you examples of our recent
work; so give us a call on 01423 873009.